• Because spontaneous voiding may occur during
skin preparation or as the procedure is initiated, have a sterile container
available to collect the urine.
• When labial adhesions are present, holding the child in a frog-leg
position and rocking the hips back and forth may line up the opening
in the adhered labia with the urethral opening.
• Cotton gauze pads are useful to hold the penis or to apply traction
to the labia once the skin has been prepared and is slippery.
• Remember that many of the newer, non-latex gloves fit poorly,
making holding a slippery skin surface nearly impossible; wear tightly
fitting non-latex gloves when possible.
• Although 1 study showed that pain was reduced by applying lidocaine
topically and injecting anesthetic
into the urethra, this does not represent typical use of lidocaine jelly
in clinical practice.