• Clean the area with povidone-iodine and set up
a sterile field.
• If you are uncertain about the definitive diagnosis of the abscess,
use an 18-gauge needle to aspirate the affected area.
• Using the #11 scalpel, make a linear incision through
the skin over the full length of the abscess cavity. Avoid proximate
• Allow the pus to drain from the cavity.
• Use a sterile gloved finger or hemostats to explore the cavity
and break up any loculations of pus.
• Place sterile packing material into the wound. Use a hemostat
to aid in the placement of the packing material (see Figure
• Leave an end of the packing material through the incision site
so that ...