• Using an otoscope, examine the ear canal and
remove any occluding cerumen.
• Choose the appropriately sized ear tip for the patient’s
ear canal and affix it to the otoscope.
• Grasp the helix and pull up and back gently to straighten the
• Insert the speculum tip into the entrance of the ear canal to
visualize the tympanic membrane.
• An airtight seal will need to be obtained when performing pneumatic
• To insufflate, squeeze the bulb to deliver positive pressure
against the tympanic membrane while observing for mobility. Also
observe for movement when releasing the bulb and generating negative ...