• Position the catheter tip away from the origin
of hepatic vessels, portal vein, and foramen ovale; the tip should
lie in the inferior vena cava just below its junction with the right
• Never force the catheter past an obstruction.
• Once secured, never advance nonsterile portions of the catheter
into the vessel. If the catheter needs to be advanced, it should
• Avoid hypertonic infusions when catheter tip is not in the inferior
• Do not leave the catheter open to the atmosphere due to the danger
of air embolus.
• Always confirm catheter position on radiograph before use. The
only exception is when an umbilical venous catheter is inserted
for resuscitation in the delivery room; in this case a low-lying
catheter should be used.