• Larger adolescents and adults may require the
use of a 1.5-inch needle.
• Aspirate to check for possible blood vessel entry.
• Aspirate for at least 5 seconds.
• This ensures that the needle is not in a small blood vessel.
• If blood is obtained, withdraw the needle, discard the medication
and syringe, and start again.
• If blood is not obtained, slowly inject the medication.
• Do not recap the needle.
• Dispose of the needle in the proper container.
• Apply pressure to the injection site with a gauze pad.
• Apply bandage and comfort the child.