• When using a nebulizer, when mist starts sputtering, tapping on
cup allows for aerosolization of remainder of medicine.
• Effective administration involves transport of medication to
the lower airways.
• The medication must be aerosolized and inhaled to facilitate
• Ineffective aerosolization as well as improper technique may
result in disposition of medication onto the skin of the face or
on the soft palate or posterior pharynx.
• In some younger children, the use of a spacer with a mask may
allow more effective delivery than a spacer with a mouthpiece.