• Place nose clips on patient.
• Patient makes a seal with lips around mouthpiece.
• Ensure tongue does not block opening.
• Have the patient breathe comfortably for 3 breaths (tidal breathing).
• At end exhalation, have patient take fast breath in to fill lungs
completely (to total lung capacity).
• At top of inspiration, have patient exhale fast and hard and
keep exhaling for 6 seconds or until flow plateaus.
• At end of exhalation, inhale to fill lungs completely (total lung
• Maneuver should be repeated to obtain 3 tests that are acceptable