• Insert small amount of air (20–30 mL)
via orogastric tube while listening to the epigastric area with
• If unsure about tube position, obtain a chest film to confirm
• Secure tube to the face with tape.
• After insertion of the orogastric tube, begin to irrigate stomach
• Use 10–15-mL/kg aliquots of warm (38 °C) isotonic saline.
• Lavage should continue until the effluent is clear.
• For diagnostic lavage, notice presence of fresh red blood, blood
clots, or coffee ground material to confirm upper gastrointestinal
• At this time, diagnostic lavage should be stopped.
• Confirm presence of blood with Gastroccult cards.