• Balloons deflate over time (by osmosis), so contents should
be checked monthly (more often leads to increased risk of bursting).
• Withdraw the contents of balloon using a 10-mL syringe; hold
the tube in place carefully to avoid displacement.
• Observe amount withdrawn and top up to correct amount.
• Refill balloon with normal saline.
• Note: It is wise to push the tube
down into the stomach to avoid accidentally pulling it out. (If
this happens, simply push the tube back in.)
• You may feel resistance if you are inflating the balloon in
the tract. Stop and push in further. Deflate the balloon and reposition
• Pushing the tube in too far can place it through the pyloric sphincter