• Observe sterile procedure.
• Strongly consider applying a topical anesthetic before starting
• Leaving the topical anesthetic on for a sufficient time period
provides a reasonable degree of topical anesthesia.
• Remove the topical anesthetic prior to skin preparation.
• The practice of additional injection of lidocaine varies; the
injection represents a separate needle stick and is associated with
pain from lidocaine infiltration.
• Apply 10% povidone-iodine solution to the skin surface of
the abdomen 1–2 cm above the pubic symphysis.
• Attach the syringe to the needle.
• The provider should be ...