• With the hand properly positioned and immobilized
(if necessary), the cautery device is heated and then applied to
the nail in the center of the hematoma area.
• Little or no pressure is required to penetrate the nail, particularly
in small children with thin nails.
• Immediately upon entering the subungual space, blood will escape
and a sizzling sound will be heard (from the blood hitting the cautery
• Immediately withdraw the blade.
• Slight pressure will express more of the remaining fluid.
• Older hematomas may ...