• Explain to the child that his or her parent will
give him or her a special kiss on the mouth to remove the object.
• The child will need to keep his or her mouth open for the kiss.
• This is the only cooperation required, and there will be no instruments
• Explain to the parent, out of earshot of the child, that the
parent must blow with 1 forceful puff into the child’s
mouth while simultaneously occluding the uninvolved nostril.
• If successful, the object will be expelled from the nasal cavity,
obviating the need for instrument removal.
• The technique is less frightening to the child and less likely
to result in local trauma.