1. American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and
Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders: DSM-IV-TR. Washington,
DC: American Psychiatric Association; 2000.
2. Biederman J. Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder:
a selective overview. Biol Psychiatry. 2005;57(11):1215-1220.
3. Froehlich TE, Lanphear BP, Epstein JN, et al. Prevalence,
recognition, and treatment of attention-deficit/hyperactivity
disorder in a national sample of US children. Arch Pediatr
Adolesc Med. 2007;161(9):857-864.
4. Connor D. Preschool attention deficit hyperactivity disorder:
a review of prevalence, diagnosis, neurobiology, and stimulant treatment. J Dev
Behav Pediatr. 2002;23(1):18, S1-S9.
5. Coghill D, Nigg J, Rothenberger A, Sonuga-Barke E, Tannock
R. Whither causal models in the neuroscience of ADHD? Dev
6. Barkley R. ADHD and the Nature of Self-control.
New York: Guilford Press; 1997.
7. Shaw P, Eckstrand K, Sharp W, et.al. Attention-deficit/hyperactivity
disorder is characterized by a delay in cortical maturation. Proc
Natl Acad Sci. 2007;104(49):19649-19654.
30. Loe IM, Feldman HM. Academic and educational outcomes of
children with ADHD. Ambul Pediatr. 2007;7(1):82-90.
31. Ingram S, Hechtman L, Morgenstern G. Outcome issues in ADHD:
adolescent and adult long-term outcome. MRDD Research Reviews 1999;5(3):243-250.
32. Wolraich ML, Bibblelsman CJ, Brown TE, et.al. Attention-deficit/hyperactivity
disorder among adolescents: a review of the diagnosis, treatment, and
clinical implications. Pediatrics. 2005;115(6): 1734-1746.
33. Barbaresi WJ, Katusic SK, Colligan RC, Weaver AL, Jacobsen
SJ. Modifiers of long-term school outcomes for children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity
disorder: does treatment with stimulant medication make a difference?
results from a population-based study. J Dev Behav Pediatr. 2007;28(4):274-287.
8. Hinshaw SP. Is ADHD an impairing condition in childhood and
adolescence? In: Jensen PS, Cooper J, eds. Attention Deficit
Hyperactivity Disorder: State of the Science, Best Practices. Kingston,
NJ: Civic Research Institute; 2002:5-1 to 5-21.
9. Matza LS, Rentz AM, Secnik K, et al. The link between health-related
quality of life and clinical symptoms among children with attention-deficit
hyperactivity disorder. J Dev Behav Pediatr.
10. Üstün T. Using the International Classification of
Functioning, Disease and Health in attention-deficit/hyperactivity
disorder: separating the disease from its epiphenomena. Ambul
15. Biederman J, Faraone S, Milberger S, et al. A prospective
4-year follow-up study of attention-deficit hyperactivity and related
disorders. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1996;53(3):437-446.
11. Hinshaw SP. Externalizing behavior problems and academic
underachievement in childhood and adolescence: causal relationships
and underlying mechanisms. Psychol Bull. 1992;111(1):127-155.
17. Loeber R, Burke JD, Lahey BB, Winters A, Zera M. Oppositional
defiant and conduct disorder: a review of the past 10 years, part
1. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2000;39(12):1468-1484.
12. Jensen PS, Hinshaw SP, Swanson JM, et al. Findings from
the NIMH multimodal treatment study of ADHD (MTA): Implications
and applications for primary care providers. J Dev Behav Pediatr. 2001;22(1):60-73.
19. Stein MT, Lounsbury B. A child with a learning disability;
navigating school-based services. J Dev Behav Pediatr. 2001;22(3):188-192.
16. Wolraich ML, Felice ME, Drotar D, eds. The Classification
of Child and Adolescent Mental Diagnoses in Primary Care—Diagnostic
and Statistical Manual for Primary Care (DSM-PC) Child and Adolescent
Version. Elk Grove Village, IL: American Academy of Pediatrics; 1996.
18. American Academy of Pediatrics. Committee on Quality Improvement
and Subcommittee on Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder.
Diagnosis and evaluation of the child with attention-deficit/hyperactivity
disorder. Pediatrics. 2000; 105(5):1158-1170.
22. Dixon SD, Stein MT. Encounters with Children: Pediatric
Behavior and Development. 4th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Mosby-Elsevier;
19. American Academy of Pediatrics. Committee on Quality Improvement,
Subcommittee on Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder.
Clinical practice guideline: treatment of the school-aged child
with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. Pediatrics. 2001;108(4):1033-1044.
20. Jensen PS, Cooper JR. Attention Deficit Hyperactivity
Disorder: State of the Science, Best Practices. Kingston,
NJ: Civic Research Institute; 2002.
21. Swanson JM, Elliott GR, Greenhill LL, et al. Effects of
stimulant medication on growth rates across 3 years in the MTA follow-up.
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2007;46(8):1015-1027.
22. Greenhill L, Kollins S, Abikoff H, et al. Efficacy and safety
of immediate-release methylphenidate
treatment for preschoolers
with ADHD. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry
23. Wilens TE, Faraone SV, Biederman J. Does stimulant therapy
of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder beget later
substance abuse? A meta-analytic review of the literature. Pediatrics. 2003;111(1):179-185.
24. Wender EH. Managing stimulant medication for attention-deficit/hyperactivity
disorder. Pediatr in Rev. 2002;23(7):234-236.
25. Reiff MI, ed. ADHD: A Complete and Authoritative
Guide. Elk Grove Village, IL: American Academy of Pediatrics;
30. Anastopoulos AD, Rhoads LH, Farley SE. Counseling and training
parents. In: Barkley RA, ed. Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity
Disorder: A Handbook for Diagnosis and Treatment. 3rd ed.
New York, NY: Guilford Press; 2006:453-479.
31. Jensen PS, Arnold LE, Swanson JM, et al. 3-year follow-up
of NIMH MTA study. J. Am Acad. Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2007;46(8):98-1002.
32. Center for Children and Families. ADHD fact sheets, treatment
programs, and assessment instruments for parents, teachers, professionals,
and students. University of Buffalo, New York. http://ccf.buffalo.edu/resources_downloads.php
Accessed January 16, 2008.
33. Chan E, Rappaport LA, Kemper K. Complementary and alternative
therapies in childhood attention and hyperactivity problems. J
Dev Behav Pediatr. 2003;24(1):4-8.
34. Johnston C. The impact of attention deficit hyperactivity
disorder on social and vocational functioning in adults in Jensen
PS, Cooper JR (Editors) Attention Deficit Hyperactivity
Disorder: State of the science-Best practices. (2002) Kingston,
NJ: Civic Research Institute, 6-1 to 6-21.